Sunday, July 8, 2012

Yarrow

Yarrow - doesn't that sound like slang?  It just sounds funny :)

It looks like a fern.  Kim promises me that it will bloom small white flowers (this is one from Sue's garden).  When transplanted, the fern like leaves stick to the ground.  Kim says, "The plant is being pissy."  hehe.  She told me to keep watering it daily.  Eventually it started standing up in the middle.  And eventually.. it will bloom.  Hopefully.


They grow 2 to 4 feet tall, but this might be a low-growing variety.  They are supposed to be "remarkably durable" tolerating dry spells and low soil fertility.  It's a perennial - I can handle fern like perennial that flowers :)  They bloom from midsummer into fall, so I still have chance of a bloom this year!

Problem though, we get a lot of humidity here and the yarrow could be susceptible to powdery mildew disease.

Pro's:  Easy care, low maintenance (always a plus!), multiplies quickly (eh, I don't know if I can agree with this at this point), good for cut flowers, attracts butterflies (seriously?  Guess I need to see the blooms to be convinced of this).

I did read that a thin layer of compost needs to be spread around it each spring.  Good to know.  And though it can tolerate a drought, it needs water during the summer if rainfall is less than 1 inch per week.  After the first frost, I'll need to cut the stems back to an inch or two above the soil line.

If it blooms, I'll add to this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment