Sunday, July 22, 2012

Red Salvia

Salvia Coccinea 'Lady in Red' - that's the name of this one.  I've read that it grows in full sun, easy to grow (I can't agree, given I killed the first one).  It doesn't tolerate the winter well, but my grandmother says it comes back every year.

My grandmother gave me this plant while it was blooming.  The first go round, the plant died.  She gave me a couple more and I planted them together in the hopes that one of them would make it.  They are struggling, even after a week of being planted.  I'm hopeful.

I took a picture of the plant and posted it on Facebook.  It's an unknown, but a couple of people mentioned it might be a red salvia.  I did a Google search and found a match with the Salvia Coccinea.  the blooms are so delicate.

I have to add, the original first plant my grandmother gave to me, after I planted it -  everything turned brown and died.  But there's this one little itty bitty tiniest piece at the ground that is light green and fuzzy feeling.  Is it the swan song of the plant or a future growth.  It gets watered with the rest of the garden, so we'll see what happens.

Below is the second attempt from my grandmother's garden.  I sure hope it lives!


Update:  MawMaw's plant is still alive :)  It's been over 2 weeks now that it's been planted.  I should have cut the top sprouts and it would have bloomed more.  But I do have one tiny bloom - see below:


Another update  - it appears it will live!  Yeah!  More blooms on the smaller plant:



No comments:

Post a Comment