Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Vinca - Good Beginning Plant

Kim introduced me to the bright colorful display of Vincas.  They are easy plants, even for beginners.  Sometimes they are called periwinkles, but to me they don't look like a periwinkle.

It's annual, so plan on replanting these beauties next year.  Easy to do and they come in such a variety of color!

If the leaves start to turn yellow, there's too much water.  I know.... I found out that one of my pots doesn't have good drainage... the vinca's leaves gave me the clue.

Vincas like full sun and can tolerate the heat, but they can do well in some shade too.  Three hours of sun is required, minimum.  They need to be watered, but if you want to give them an extra boost, light feedings of liquid fertilizer or manure tea once a month is helpful.  It doesn't need deadheading, cool.

I have bright pink vincas in the pots outside of the front garden.  I have a red hanging pot and soft pink hanging pot of vincas by the rose garden.  And in the hibiscus garden, I have hot pink and velvet purple vincas (great colors).  And... I now have window pots with Vincas - Woot!





No comments:

Post a Comment