Monday, July 16, 2012

Purple Potato and its Side Kick

Kim gave me the purple potato.  I gave her a funny look when she told me what it was.... and yes, it does actually make a potato on the root.  (And the potato is edible!)

I didn't know if I'd like it too much, because when first planted, it looks sickly.  But oh boy does it perk up and grows.  Fast!  It's great in a hanging pot, because it's a vine with lovely purple leaves.  It's something very unique in the garden.



And the "sidekick" - yes that's a name, is another type of potato plant... - Sidekick Lime.. the bright lime green colors - it's a patented variety that is less aggressive in growth and more compact.  I love it though!  Never thought I'd have a potato plant (or two) growing my garden.

They prefer full sun, but need water every day.

Oh and watch these vines, they will take root elsewhere in the garden.  I had the hanging purple potato plant in the small section of the front garden.  Then, about a week or two later, I found another purple potato plant growing in the large section.. in the ground.  No where near where the hanging purple potato plant was!

So, I uprooted the new purple potato and planted it with the sidekick green in a pot that sits up high.



No comments:

Post a Comment