Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Scabiosa Pincushion Flower for Butterflies

Scabiosa Pincushion plant - perennial - yeah!  It comes back every year.  It has a green base and will bloom with tall lavender flowers that look like pincushions.

I like that it's supposed to bloom spring, summer and fall :)  Kim taught me to look for flowers that bloom longer than just one season.  This plant also attracts butterflies too.  It seems my garden has more butterfly attractors than I first realized!


Deadheading is necessary to promote blooms.  The pincushion flower prefers well-drained soil in full sun.  It's intolerant of wet soils, so I worry how it will fair when we get tropic storms during the summer.  It grows to a height of 1 to 3 feet.  I'm looking forward to watching this one grow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment