Friday, July 6, 2012

Firecracker - Russelia

I love this plant!  It's vibrant and happy, but that wasn't always the case.  In fact, this was a 60 % off plant at Lowe's.  It had more brown than it did green, but I saw potential for what was living.  It seemed dry and I thought, "Hmm, maybe it just needs some good watering."  Don't turn up your nose at clearance plants... sometimes they really turn out lovely!


Firecracker plants also go by coral plant, fountain plants and coral blow.  The plant produces bright red tubular flowers that look like firecrackers.  The plant starts up tall and then hangs down with the weight of the blooms.  It would probably be great in a huge pot.

It likes well drained soil and needs to be fertilized regularly (something I need to take care of soon).  Preferring full sun or partial shade, this one is also located under the juniper tree.

Ah, here's a key - Water Regularly - don't let the soil dry out.  Shame on Lowe's, Lucky for me :)

Oh and it's easy to propagate from tip cuttings.  How neat is that?  I'd love to try that one time!

And!!!  It's another butterfly and hummingbird plant.  Woot!  I have so many butterfly plants.  That makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment