Friday, July 13, 2012

Petunia - Annual Visitor

I didn't buy it.  In fact, it was a vacated hanging pot holder that had nothing but mud in it.  The hanging pot stayed hidden in the front weeded garden for years and years.  Then one year I noticed some bright pink blooms.  What the heck?  I don't know where it came from, but it's self seeding every year.



In the past, I didn't water it, because why water a weed garden?  This year though, after removing all the weeds, I was tempted to throw this old hanging pot away.  The blooms were there though and struggling.  So, it stayed in the front garden, still in the old hanging pot and it gets watered every day and it blooms.  Every day.

After sharing pictures on Facebook, I was told that this is a Petunia and it appears it will come back every year, based on my experience with it.

I read that they do need constant watering, because they have shallow roots, which dry out quickly.  (Ah, that's the reason they bloomed quickly early on in the weed garden and then looked icky with the heat of summer.  Right now, they still look good, because of constant watering.)

They like full sun and they seem easy to care for.  Heck, I didn't care for them and they still came back. These little petunias got my attention!  (One word of warning... a friend on Facebook also told me that Petunias are slug-magnets.  Nasty!)


No comments:

Post a Comment