Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Caladiums

When I told Kim I didn't want "elephant ears" in my garden, because they get too big, she told me that they aren't elephant ears and they don't get big.

She's right, they only grow to 15-35 inches high.  But they are called elephant ears ... and angel wings and the Heart of Jesus.  I like those other names more than elephant ears :)


The good news about this plant is that it is disease resistant :)  The bad news is that all parts of the plant, if ingested, are poisonous.

When I went to Lowe's to buy this plant, Kim came with me to look at the bottom of the plant; she picked this particular one with a purpose.  I liked the colors, she liked the two limbs coming out from the pot.  When we went to plant the caladium, Kim broke up the two parts.  We got two for the price of one!

One is up against the side of the small section of the front garden (the above picture).

And one is under the juniper tree (lots of shade there) in the large section of the front garden (the below picture).


I took this picture because I've never seen that bloom on a caladium before.  Pretty cool.

Oh and in case I wasn't clear, caladiums like partial shade.  I read they like "partial shade of open, high-branched trees" - so under the juniper was a great idea.  Though, I need to add that the stores sell full sun caladiums, but honestly?  They didn't look all that good.

Caladiums like warm, moist soil, so don't plant them too early in the spring when the soil might still be cool.  Water regularly, they aren't drought tolerant.

These are annuals, but again, where I live, we sometimes don't get  much of a winter and I've heard that they do come back.  I guess I'll find out next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment