Monday, June 25, 2012

Blue Black Salvia


Blue & Black Salvia
Botanical Name:  Salvia guaranitica 'Black & Blue'

Sue gave me this plant from her garden and she offered to give me more.  I'm looking forward to that :) They are lovely, but warning, they don't like to be transplanted.  You need to water them daily, otherwise they look wilted.  Mine is barely hanging in there.

I didn't know it could grow between 2 - 5 feet.  5 feet?  Umm, might have a problem with where it's planted (under the juniper tree).  It might also be "barely hanging in there" because it gets more shade than sun.  It's a "sun to part shade" plant.

It's supposed to be hardy, tolerating heat and humidity - after it gets established - so water it well until you see it taking off.  It's annual, but Sue said that it comes back year after year in her garden if we don't have a strong winter.

Someone else told me that Blue & Black Salvias are Late Summer Lovers and that I should see an improvement soon.

Here's a picture I took this week:



The bad news - no blooms since being transplanted.  The good news - the plant is finally getting some pretty green leaves on the limbs.  AND... there's a new stalk starting (it's to the right of the plant).  Yeah!  That means it's likely taking root.  :)

Maybe this summer I'll see the black buds and blue flowers?

WOOT WOOT!  UPDATE!  I have black buds!!!!!!!


How wicked cool are those buds!  I can't get enough of these blooms.  More pictures below.  I don't know if you can see it from the picture of the entire plant, but there are 10 buds throughout the plant.  It looks healthy and happy and I am too :)



Did I ever question if this plant would survive?  It's a happy, healthy looker.  More and more blooms.


No comments:

Post a Comment