Monday, July 22, 2013

Unexpected

My friend, Kim, gives me bulbs from her father-in-law's garden.  He must have a garden with a bunch of different bulbs.  Kim pulls out a small section, the small ones that have yet to bloom and she plants them in my garden.  This time, she gave me a small grouping and I planted them.  I saw the bulb start to grow and thought, "OH cool!!  Usually the new plants don't bloom until a year or sometimes two or three years later.  But this looks like a bloom coming for the "hidden lily" bulb."

I was excited and kept waiting for it to bloom.... but was in for a little surprise.


Hidden lilies are supposed to bloom "under" the big round leaves.


This is NOT under a leaf!


I looked closer..... these blooms have a straight thin leaf at the bottom.  It appears my friend have me two different bulbs!  So, I have a surprise lily in the garden and will wait patiently for the hidden lily to make an appearance.  I hope they both survive and come back again next year!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos! I am a terrible gardener:( I need to learn!

    ReplyDelete